Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Capital Fringe Special: Michael Oberhauser

Here's the second Capital Fringe Festival special, and it's the first profile in the series!

Ladies and gentlemen, meet another local composer, Michael Oberhauser.

Where in the DC area do you live?
I live in North Cleveland Park, a couple blocks up Connecticut from the Van Ness metro.

How long have you lived in the DC area in general?
In August I'll reach 9 years in the DC area. Never thought I'd stay here this long!

So where did you grow up?
I grew up in Ohio, the Toledo area, and never moved very far from there before moving here.

Where have you studied and/or gone to school for your art?
I did my undergrad in music composition at Ohio Northern University, just over an hour south of Toledo. I moved to DC for my master's in music composition (with a stage emphasis) at Catholic University. I took a few years off from school after that, then did my doctorate in music composition at Maryland.

Favorite advice you’ve received from a colleague/mentor/teacher?
I've received a ton of really specific pieces of advice from teachers and colleagues, but I think my favorite overall piece of advice wasn't written for me personally. I often worry, especially being in an academic setting, that my composition isn't "tricky" or "cerebral" or "new" enough. But there are two lines from the musical Sunday in the Park with George that are always inspirational for me: "Stop worrying if your vision is new. Let others make that decision - they usually do." and "Anything you do, let it come from you - then it will be new."

Favorite neighborhood in DC?
I love U Street. It has a little bit of everything there.

Favorite food AND best place to get that in DC?
There's too much food I like. I love Indian food (Masala Art), Salvadoran food (El Tamarindo), Thai food (too many favorites)...

Favorite game (board game, card game, video game, etc.)?
I'm a total video game nerd. I like the old-fashioned console RPGs - the ones that put a premium on telling a good story and having interesting characters. I don't care much if the graphics are great, but the music in RPGs tends to be really good. My favorite of all time in Final Fantasy VI.

Favorite time of the year?
In DC? The week or two of spring we get between winter and summer. In Ohio, definitely fall. I love light jacket weather. I like not sweating just from being outside.

One thing you do for fun?
I love listening to all kinds of new music, and I really love making playlists for parties that I throw at my apartment, and I make one new playlist based on a theme every season. I like to think that tons of people listen, but I know only two or three of my friends like them. I like a little bit of all sorts of music (though mostly indie stuff), so sometimes my taste can be a bit tough to follow.

What’s your day job?
I'm an adjunct music professor at both Catholic and Maryland, and I have a part time desk job (mostly on the weekends, and mostly just answering phones and emails) at a private social club.

What book are you currently reading?
How To Write for Percussion by Samuel Z. Solomon. Yes, I'm reading a textbook for fun. But before that I read a novella that my roommate wrote, and before that I finally read the Hunger Games trilogy.

Last show you binge-watched?
I'm really not much of a binge watcher. I usually just watch what my roommate is watching, which is Star Trek: Voyager right now. One day that we both had off a while back we marathoned through most of the Kroll Show.

What would your superpower be?
Definitely teleportation. I'd love to be able to see my friends all over whenever I want to. Heck, even skipping DC rush hour traffic would be great.

Three artists (living or dead) whom you would want to have dinner with?
Another tough one. After much thought, I've decided upon Benjamin Britten, Igor Stravinsky, and Tori Amos.

You have 4 chances to catch Once Upon a Bedtime!

And it's recommended for all ages, so bring the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment